Query sample data
Use InfluxDB OSS sample datasets to quickly access data that lets you explore and familiarize yourself with InfluxDB Cloud without requiring you to have or write your own data.
Each execution of
sample.data() downloads the specified dataset from Amazon S3.
If using InfluxDB Cloud or a hosted InfluxDB OSS instance,
you may see additional network bandwidth costs when using this function.
Approximate sample dataset sizes are listed for each sample dataset and in the output of
If you also want to explore Cloud, we offer a way to explore data without incurring network bandwidth costs, using demo data.
Choose sample data
- Choose from the following sample datasets:
- Air sensor sample data: Explore, visualize, and monitor humidity, temperature, and carbon monoxide levels in the air.
- Bird migration sample data: Explore, visualize, and monitor the latitude and longitude of bird migration patterns.
- NOAA NDBC sample data: Explore, visualize, and monitor NDBC’s observations from their buoys. This data observes air temperature, wind speed, and more from specific locations.
- NOAA water sample data: Explore, visualize, and monitor temperature, water level, pH, and quality from specific locations.
- USGS Earthquake data: Explore, visualize, and monitor earthquake monitoring data. This data includes alerts, cdi, quarry blast, magnitide, and more.
- Do one of the following to download sample data:
Add sample data with community template
Visit the InfluxDB templates page in the InfluxDB OSS UI. Click Settings > Templates in the navigation menu on the left.
Paste the Sample Data community temple URL in resource manifest file field:
Explore sample data
Use the Data Explorer to query and visualize data in sample data buckets.
In the navigation menu on the left, click Explore (Data Explorer).
Add sample data
In the navigation menu on the left, click Data (Load Data) > Buckets.
Click Create bucket, and then name your bucket. The bucket will appear in your list of buckets.
View the sample datasets document and choose a sample data to query.
sample.data()function listed underneath.
Click Explore on the left navigation of InfluxDB Cloud and click your bucket, and then click Script Editor.
Click Submit to run the query.
For more information about querying in the Script Editor, see how to Query data with Flux and the Data Explorer.
Create sample data dashboards
After adding a sample data bucket, create a dashboard specific to the sample dataset:
Click Boards (Dashboards) in the navigation menu on the left.
Click Create Dashboard > New Dashboard, and name the dashboard after your bucket.
Click Add Cell, and select your sample data bucket.
Click Script Editor.
Copy and paste the
sample.data()function into the script editor.
Click Submit to run the query.
Define the variables of your sample data.
Support and feedback
Thank you for being part of our community! We welcome and encourage your feedback and bug reports for InfluxDB and this documentation. To find support, the following resources are available:
InfluxDB Cloud and InfluxDB Enterprise customers can contact InfluxData Support.