InfluxDB is a time series database designed to handle high write and query loads. It is an integral component of the TICK stack. InfluxDB is meant to be used as a backing store for any use case involving large amounts of timestamped data, including DevOps monitoring, application metrics, IoT sensor data, and real-time analytics.
Here are some of the features that InfluxDB currently supports that make it a great choice for working with time series data.
- Custom high performance datastore written specifically for time series data. The TSM engine allows for high ingest speed and data compression
- Written entirely in Go. It compiles into a single binary with no external dependencies.
- Simple, high performing write and query HTTP APIs.
- Plugins support for other data ingestion protocols such as Graphite, collectd, and OpenTSDB.
- Expressive SQL-like query language tailored to easily query aggregated data.
- Tags allow series to be indexed for fast and efficient queries.
- Retention policies efficiently auto-expire stale data.
- Continuous queries automatically compute aggregate data to make frequent queries more efficient.
The open source edition of InfluxDB runs on a single node. If you require high availability to eliminate a single point of failure, consider the InfluxDB Enterprise Edition.