InfluxDB is a time series database built from the ground up to handle high write and query loads. It is the second piece of the TICK stack. InfluxDB is meant to be used as a backing store for any use case involving large amounts of timestamped data, including DevOps monitoring, application metrics, IoT sensor data, and real-time analytics.
Here are some of the features that InfluxDB currently supports that make it a great choice for working with time series data.
- Custom high performance datastore written specifically for time series data. The TSM engine allows for high ingest speed and data compression.
- Written entirely in Go. It compiles into a single binary with no external dependencies.
- Simple, high performing write and query HTTP(S) APIs.
- Plugins support for other data ingestion protocols such as Graphite, collectd, and OpenTSDB.
- Expressive SQL-like query language tailored to easily query aggregated data.
- Tags allow series to be indexed for fast and efficient queries.
- Retention policies efficiently auto-expire stale data.
- Continuous queries automatically compute aggregate data to make frequent queries more efficient.
However, InfluxDB OSS runs on a single node. If you require a high-availability clustering to eliminate a single point of failure, consider the InfluxDB Enterprise Edition.