Downsample data with notebooks
Downsample data to reduce the overall disk usage as data collects over time. Learn how to create a notebook that downsamples data—walk through the following example to create a notebook that does the following:
- Inputs InfluxDB Cloud demo data from the Website Monitoring Bucket
- Downsamples data by aggregating data within windows of time with a Flux script
- Outputs downsampled data to a bucket
- This example uses InfluxDB Cloud demo data.
- Create a destination bucket to write downsampled data to. For details, see Create a bucket.
Downsample data with a notebook
- Create a new notebook (see Create a notebook).
- Add a Metric Selector cell to select a bucket to query data from:
- In the Choose a bucket dropdown list, select Website Monitoring Bucket.
- Select the response_time field.
- Select the mean function from the aggregate selector in the upper-right.
- Add a Downsample cell to bring in data from the previous cell and downsample it.
- Select an aggregate function from the Apply aggregate dropdown menu.
- Enter a window period.
- Add an Output to Bucket cell, and then select the destination bucket for your downsampled data.
- Add a Markdown cell to add a note to your team about what this notebook does. For example, the cell might say, “Downsample to one value per hour so we can do week-over-week performance. Sending data to downsample bucket.”
- Click Preview in the upper left to verify that your notebook runs and preview the output.
- Run your notebook:
- Click Run from the Preview dropdown list to run the notebook and write to the output bucket a single time.
- To write continuously, click Export as Task in the upper right corner of the Output to Bucket cell. For details about working with tasks, see Manage tasks.
Support and feedback
Thank you for being part of our community! We welcome and encourage your feedback and bug reports for InfluxDB and this documentation. To find support, the following resources are available:
InfluxDB Cloud and InfluxDB Enterprise customers can contact InfluxData Support.