Create a notebook
Create a notebook to explore, visualize, and process your data.
This guide walks through the basics of creating a notebook. For specific examples, see the following:
Create a new notebook
In the navigation menu on the left, click Notebooks.
Click +Create Notebook.
Enter a name for your notebook in the Name this notebook field.
By default, a Metric Selector and Visualization cell appear (see Cell types below for details.)
Click the + icon to add a cell. See Cell types below for details on each type of cell.
Click Preview to preview the results of each cell in a raw data table without writing any data.
If your cell contains a custom script that uses any output function to write data to InfluxDB (the
to()function) or send it to a 3rd party service, clicking Preview will write data.
Click the dropdown menu next to Preview and select Run to show the results of each cell and write it to the specified output bucket.
Use the keyboard shortcut CTRL + Enter to Preview your notebook.
Click the eye icon to hide a cell.
Notebooks are comprised of different cells. Add one or more of the following cell types to your notebook:
- Input: Metric Selector:
- Choose a bucket to define your data source.
- Edit your time range with the time range option in the dropdown menu.
- Add filters to narrow your data.
- Transform: Flux Script:
__PREVIOUS_RESULT__to build from data in the previous cell.
- Enter a Flux script to transform your data.
- Transform: Downsample:
- Window data by time and apply an aggregate to each window to downsample data.
- For more information, see Downsample data with notebooks.
- Pass-through: Markdown: Enter explanatory notes or other information for yourself or one of your team members in Markdown.
- Pass-through: Visualization:
- Create a visualization of your data. For details on available visualization types and how to use them, see Visualization types.
- Click Export to Dashboard in the upper right to send your cell to a new or existing dashboard.
- Output: Output to Bucket: Write data to a bucket. Click Run in the upper left to write a single time, or select Export as Task to schedule your output as a task.
The following options appear in the upper right of each notebook.
Toggle the Presentation option to enter presentation mode. Use presentation mode to view notebooks in full screen, hiding the left and top navigation menus so only the cells appear. This mode might be helpful, for example, for stationary screens dedicated to monitoring visualizations.
Select from the options in the dropdown list or select Custom Time Range to enter a custom time range with precision up to nanoseconds.
Click the timezone dropdown list to select a timezone to use for the dashboard. Select either the local time (default) or UTC.
Support and feedback
Thank you for being part of our community! We welcome and encourage your feedback and bug reports for InfluxDB and this documentation. To find support, the following resources are available:
InfluxDB Cloud and InfluxDB Enterprise customers can contact InfluxData Support.