This page describes how to download and install Chronograf.
- TICK overview
- Download and install
- Connect to your InfluxDB instance or InfluxDB Enterprise cluster
- Connect to Kapacitor
Chronograf is the user interface for InfluxData’s TICK stack.
Download and install
The latest Chronograf builds are available on InfluxData’s Downloads page.
On the Downloads page, scroll to the bottom and click Are you interested in InfluxDB 1.x Open Source? to expand the 1.x options. Scroll to the Chronograf section and select your desired Chronograf version and operating system. Execute the provided download commands.
If your download includes a TAR package, save the underlying datastore
chronograf-v1.dbin directory outside of where you start Chronograf. This preserves and references your existing datastore, including configurations and dashboards, when you download future versions.
Install Chronograf, replacing
<version#>with the appropriate version:
Connect Chronograf to your InfluxDB instance or InfluxDB Enterprise cluster
- In a browser, navigate to localhost:8888.
- Provide the following details:
Connection String: InfluxDB hostname or IP, and port (default port is
Connection Name: Connection name.
Username and Password: If you’ve enabled InfluxDB authentication, provide your InfluxDB username and password. Otherwise, leave blank.
To ensure distinct permissions can be applied, Chronograf user accounts and credentials should be different than InfluxDB credentials. For example, you may want to set up Chronograf to run as a service account with read-only permissions to InfluxDB. For more information, see how to manage InfluxDB users in Chronograf and manage Chronograf users.
Telegraf Database Name: (Optional) Telegraf database name. Default name is
- Click Add Source.
Connect Chronograf to Kapacitor
- In Chronograf, click the configuration (wrench) icon in the sidebar menu, then select Add Config in the Active Kapacitator column.
- In the Kapacitor URL field, enter the hostname or IP of the machine that Kapacitor is running on. Be sure to include Kapacitor’s default port:
- Enter a name for your connection.
- Leave the Username and Password fields blank unless you’ve specifically enabled authorization in Kapacitor.
- Click Connect.
Note: Using Kapacitor is optional and not required to use Chronograf.
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for your feedback!
Support and feedback
Thank you for being part of our community! We welcome and encourage your feedback and bug reports for Chronograf and this documentation. To find support, use the following resources: